Cake Mix Cookies

Posted on July 31, 2009
Filed Under Cookies and bars

V-A-R-I-E-T-Y!!!! That’s what’s so fun about these cookies! You know in the grocery store, in the baking aisle, how there are several shelves full of cake mixes? Red ones, yellow ones, white ones, brown ones, confetti ones, pink ones, orange ones, blue ones… are there blue ones? Not sure about that now that I think of it.

And you can make even more variety! You can mix the colors too… make brown and pink (chocolate and strawberry) for your daughter’s slumber party… when you’re rolling the dough into balls, make them half the size they should be, then smash a brown and pink one together and put it on the cookie sheet.

I should’ve made a bunch of different kinds and then featured them all. But, I guess I’ll just feature them using one kind. The best flavor ever in the world of food.

Chocolate.

cake-mix-cookies-7.jpg

This recipe is adapted from the Tasteful Delights cookbook.

Cake Mix Cookies

1 cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbsp. flour

cake-mix-cookies-1.jpg
Don’t you just wonder what magic that little tablespoon of flour does? Seems like it wouldn’t make enough difference for the bother. Next time, I should be really daring and omit it, and see what happens
. :)

Beat all the ingredients together. Roll into balls and put on cookie sheets.
cake-mix-cookies-2.jpg

Bake at 350 for 11 minutes.
cake-mix-cookies-3.jpg Yum. They have cracks in them. I like when cookies have cracks like that. Makes them look soft and chewy.

Sprinkle with sugar. I used powdered sugar. I just sprinkled some of them because I think I like the looks of them better without.
cake-mix-cookies-5.jpg

Actually, I think I like them best some with and some without. You know, variety.
cake-mix-cookies.jpg

Comments

29 Responses to “Cake Mix Cookies”

1. Shannon on July 31st, 2009 3:52 pm

Oh, this looks interesting. Maybe I should make some tonight with the girls, but I don’t think we’ll be using Chocolate cake mix. :)

Saw your recipe on PW’s Tasty Kitchen. :)

2. Kay on July 31st, 2009 4:35 pm

Shannon, that’s actually YOUR recipe on Tasty Kitchen, you know! 😉 I love love love that site, don’t you?

3. Liz on July 31st, 2009 3:58 pm

I just saw a recipe like this on my cousins site (she didn’t have flour in hers) and it has been rolling around in my head that I should make them. Just takes more energy to do that kind of thing what with the good chance of having a 10 month old hanging on my skirt.

4. Tonya on July 31st, 2009 7:38 pm

We like to make lemon ones. they are sooooo yummy!!!!!

5. Rina on July 31st, 2009 11:20 pm

I’ve made these! So easy and I couldn’t believe they actually tasted good!

6. Lanita on August 1st, 2009 7:54 am

I love these cookies! I almost forgot about them…I’m pretty sure my recipe doesn’t have the T of flour.

7. Katrina on August 2nd, 2009 6:24 am

I have a similar recipe–2 boxes of cake mix, 5 eggs and 2/3 cups oil. No extra flour. I’m sure they taste the same–and I love them. For even more variety, add pb chips to the chocolate or cc to the yellow ones, etc! It’s endless possibilities! (My favorite is probably chocolate with chocolate chips, too!) Yours look perfect.

8. Elsie on August 4th, 2009 7:24 am

I also have a recipe without the flour, but it calls for butter or margarine in place of the oil and adds 1 tsp. vanilla. They are so nice and fast when you are in a hurry.

9. Heather on August 4th, 2009 9:18 pm

These cookies look delicious. and easy. My 4 year old daughter and I are planning on making them tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

10. Beth in NC on August 5th, 2009 9:19 am

I baked these last night and they were SO GOOD!! My husband loved them.

11. Robin on August 20th, 2009 10:41 am

Just made some and they are delicious. Although I do have some flour spots in my cookies, but I suppose that it takes time to become a good cook. :)

12. Martina on October 18th, 2012 12:25 pm

You can NOT bake in just any glass tray. Make sure it’s oven (heat) proof glass. Fire King, Anchor Hocking and Pyrex all make heat proof glass cooking and bkrewaae.If you use a glass tray that’s not oven proof, you’ll have a huge mess in your oven when it breaks. My neighbor found out the hard way when she put a pretty glass tray of cookies in her oven to keep them warm. She had the temperature set real low, but the tray shattered after a few minutes.Not all glass is heat proof!

13. irene on February 18th, 2014 10:04 am

wonder if u could do this with brownie mix?

14. Mary on February 18th, 2014 1:50 pm

Do you think a person could substitute the eggs w/something else with any success? Our son has a severe egg allergy. Makes baking a challenge sometimes. I’d sure appreciate any ideas.

15. Kay on February 18th, 2014 2:25 pm

Mary, my hat’s off to you for needing to dodge around eggs in baking! I don’t have anyone allergic to eggs, but I have run out of eggs. One time we searched til we found an egg-less recipe… posted here. And another time we improvised and it turned out great… posted here. And one more link… one time when I was googling for allergy to eggs, I came across this helpful page:http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=104&title=Basic_recipe_substitutions_for_egg_allergy
    Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

16. Kay on February 18th, 2014 2:41 pm

Irene, yes! Brownie mix works great too… add 1 egg, 2 Tbsp water, and 1/3 cup oil to the box of brownie mix. Nice and fudgy. Mmmmm.

17. Susie on February 19th, 2014 11:00 am

you can use applesause in place of eggs….any time

18. Beverly Hudson on February 19th, 2014 11:11 am

Is this plain or self-rising flour? These look so easy and the possibilities are endless! Thanks so much for sharing!!

19. Kay on February 19th, 2014 11:11 pm

Beverly, it’s just plain flour. And, I later found out that they do turn out if you skip the flour. :)

20. Tudela, Sydney on February 22nd, 2014 12:27 am

Wowwee, all sounds so delish..Ill so totaly do that tomorrow..Thanks guys for all the sugestions.

21. Amy on October 15th, 2014 5:11 pm

We have an egg allergy as well. I have had a lot of luck using “Flax Eggs”…1 Tbs ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbs. warm water = 1 egg. Mix and let it sit 10min or so and it will get gelatinous like an egg. It works great for muffins, cakes, cookies, etc – especially if you don’t mind it being a little more dense then usual. We also use Ener-G egg replacer if you need it to be fluffier. Going to try these cookies soon!

22. Sue on November 24th, 2014 11:54 pm

some one said you can use applesauce instead of egg’s but didn’t say how much?

23. Yummilish Cake Mix Cookies-Perfect for Christmas Eve | JensBarefootLife on December 11th, 2014 10:17 pm
  24. Reindeer Cookies on December 15th, 2014 7:16 am

[…] Source: Kitchen Scrapbook […]

25. Lydia B on April 23rd, 2015 8:16 pm

I just tried these. SO GOOD!!! Very quick, easy and most importantly, TASTY!

26. Denise on May 16th, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi, I’m another one that wants to know how much apple sauce equals one egg while making these cookies.

27. Tara on October 27th, 2015 7:17 pm

How long do u bake for ?

28. Marilyn on February 17th, 2016 4:34 pm

No one has commented on the difference in using to not using flour… What’s the purpose…? Dryer, firmer… Does anyone know..???

29. Sylvia Ball on August 9th, 2016 2:33 pm

I made these cookies this morning for my son but my husband said they were to tasty to share. Thank you so much for sharing your easy recipe