Do you have a favorite coffee cup?

Posted on April 5, 2008
Filed Under Tidbits

You know, the one that you use every morning for that mandatory first cup of coffee. I don’t have one. Not anymore anyway.

My dishwasher is on the blink right now, so the other day when I was washing dishes by hand, I was washing my good ol’ faithful coffee cup and wasn’t watching what I was doing and slammed the handle down on the edge of the sink. The handle broke off. I nonchalantly told my husband, “Uh, I just broke my coffee cup.” But, in my mind, as I was carrying the broken parts to the trash and as I put them in, I actually felt like crying.

Yeah, I’m not kidding about that. But don’t take it too seriously. I’m overly nostalgic. I won’t go into a long list of all the stuff I’ve got lumps in my throat over, like an old trailer house that I used to live in, and leaving the 1900s behind, entering the 2000s.

Do you want to know what my coffee cup looked like? It’s right up there in my header. Ah, I’m so glad I used it for my header, now I can still see it every day. Sleek and black. Not just any ordinary shape… instead of curving out slightly at the top, mine curved slightly in. It had thick walls, which is more my style than thin dainty cups. I get all thumbs when I’m holding dainty teacups, like at my Aunt Ruthie’s tea parties.

I love going to tea parties though… all the elegance and lovely snacks, BUT whenever I’m invited to one, the first thing I think of is those dainty teacups. And, well, I’ve been to tea parties where I didn’t even drink tea just because I’m sure I’ll drop and shatter my cup. And then the more I worry about doing it, the more nervous and left-handed I get, and the more chance there is of me actually bobbling and dropping it.

Anyway, back to the coffee cup… or rather, the lack of one. I am now officially in search of a new coffee cup to once again become my personal favorite. I’ve been looking and just haven’t found the perfect one yet. There are so many different ways I could go. I could go the classy route, the cutesy route, the authentic route, the decorative route, the vintage route. Anything but like what I had. If I’d find a cup exactly like I had, I wouldn’t get it. That would seem like it was just some ol’ coffee cup that can easily be replaced.

So, for now, I’m just using one of the many Coca-Cola cups in the cupboard. Just grabbing whichever one is closest. Nothing special.
coffee-cups.jpg

What about you? Do you have a favorite coffee cup? I know my aunt Ruthie has a favorite tea cup and when she has a tea party, she puts it out with all the other teacups, serves herself last, and it usually happens that her cup is one of the ones left and she gets to use it! I think that’s neat.

Comments

10 Responses to “Do you have a favorite coffee cup?”

1. Karisa on April 5th, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes I do have a favorite coffee cup. It comes from one of my friends that also loves coffee. I know she got it at Ross’s and I just love it. Its the “classy route” and if you ever stop in I’ll even let you use it. :)

The cup before the one I am using now …… I feel nostalgic about. It came from one of the youth girls who also has a love of coffee. It was tall, cream in color and had a wonderful saying about the wonderfulness(is that a word??) of coffee. Its death came when my SIL was washing dishes and she somehow broke it. I felt like crying right then and there and instead acted like oh its no big deal. I still think of that coffee cup quite fondly. :)

Hope you find the perfect cup!!!!

2. Twila on April 5th, 2008 2:00 pm

I hope you find a good replacement cup soon! My favorite “tea” mug (I don’t drink coffee, except for an occasional cappucino) is one that I got at beautiful Monticello when John and I took an 18th anniversary trip to Virginia. What attracted this garden-lovin’ heart to this particular mug was the saying on the back of it: “No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.” Then it is signed, “Th. Jefferson 1811″. The front of the mug depicts a plant and its name: “Jeffersonia diphylla”. Have a great day, even while you are still grieving the loss of your favorite mug. :-)

3. Ginny on April 5th, 2008 3:16 pm

YES!! i have a favorite coffee cup! My Brother-in-law had my name for Christmas and gave it to me. It’s a Starbucks mug – silver on the bottom, white on top with blue snowflakes. I very rarely let anyone else use it!! :]

4. Liz on April 5th, 2008 5:05 pm

Nothing like getting caught up in little details but I couldn’t figure out for a while who your Aunt Ruthie was. At first I figured it must just be a name you are using as an example. At the last paragraph it finally dawned on me and then it was like, ‘duh!’ Anyway, hope you find something to replace your mug. Maybe you should get a tea cup that way when you go to tea parties you could say, “oh, this is no big deal. I use tea cups all the time at home.”
    I don’t drink enough coffee/tea to have a favorite mug. I just grab whichever one I feel like.

5. Shannon on April 5th, 2008 6:11 pm

Your dishwasher quit???? I could hardly get farther after I read that! Fix it, fast. :)

I need to get you a Longaberger mug. Those are heavy duty, hard to break, chunky mugs now, but classy and elegant too. I have a cream one with pink flowers crawling up it that I like to use, or a dark red one works too.

6. Judi on April 6th, 2008 6:19 pm

Not a coffee drinker (don’t hate me). I do have a cup that I usually grab for my tea though. More like a mug, but has a nice handle and a peaceful landscape kind of scenery on it. I do like it.

7. Sharon on April 7th, 2008 7:18 am

Sounds like you’ve turned into a regular coffee drinker. :-) So sorry about the coffee cup. I think I’d be nostalgic about that kind of thing, too. I do think teacups are NEAT (especially my MIL’s collection!) but I would say that coffee doesn’t quite seem right in them! I don’t really have a favorite mug, just several special ones that I use that I got from friends or relatives–and I love thinking of them while I savor my steamy coffee…. (I DON’T use the drug mugs if I can help it) 😀

8. Berneice on April 7th, 2008 11:35 am

My favorite coffee is Jamacia me crazy. I buy it from Main street coffee shop in Nappanee Ind. I have a favorite mug, nothing special, just the one I always use.

9. Ruth on April 7th, 2008 9:43 pm

I don’t drink much coffee, but I do have a favorite mug for drinking whatever … mocha, tea, or occasionally coffee. It is rather large, smooth, and a beautiful cobult blue with a gold rim and “Word Perfect” printed on the side. I also have a tea cup collection, which doesn’t get used very often … when I offer them to my friends, they say “No,” and reach for one of my mugs … which seems like a real shame.

10. Monica on April 15th, 2008 2:41 pm

I absolutely love my Longaberger mugs. They are nice and thick and keep the coffee hot longer than most other mugs. I just recently bought one of their new travel mugs, but I’m scared I’ll break it if I take it anywhere, so I just use it at home with out the travel lid on it!! You really should try one!!
    Monica